Here are the top tips from Web 2.0 NYC:
- Be real.
- More interactions are key- responding to comments generates more of the same.
- Size and engagement are key metrics, although engagement is more important than raw size.
- Don’t buy fans– it’s poison.
- Social affects search because of a Google overweighting on social results, especially real-time.
- Don’t autopost to Facebook from twitter– Facebook is shutting it down.
- Customize your message to each platform.
- Use the data– you now have fan-level data to inform your marketing and be more personalized.
- Be real-time– don’t sit for a week.
Hey, that’s really cool information. I think being real in social media marketing is a lot better than just spamming people! Spamming just makes people block posts!
Thanks a lot for summarizing! We are fighting this one though: “Size and engagement are key metrics, although engagement is more important than raw size.” Engagement is NOT a goal in itself, you have to relate it to business metrics / goals of a fan page.